The Portuguese National memorial is located
near the village church of St. Pierre.
The site given to them by the local council in September
1923. On the 11th November that year, the first stone
was placed and five years later the sculpture was inaugurated
in the presence of numerous dignitaries from Portugal,
France and Belgium including Mar�chal Joseph Joffre.
At the time of the monument's inauguration the church
had yet to be rebuilt and was still a pile of ruins.