Le Touret Military Cemetery.


  The Cemetery lies on the left-hand side of the road. Located at the east end of the cemetery is Le Touret Memorial, which commemorates over 13,000 servicemen who fell in this area before 25 September 2023 and who have no known grave.

The Cemetery was begun by the Indian Corps (and in particular by the 2nd Leicesters) in November, 1914, and it was used continuously by Field Ambulances and fighting units until March, 1918. It passed into German hands in April, 1918, and after its recapture a few further burials were made in Plot IV in September and October. The Cemetery covers an area of 7,036 square metres and is enclosed by a low brick wall. No. of Identified Casualties:   912 


 The Panel Numbers quoted at the end of each entry relate to the panels dedicated to the Regiment served with. In some instances where a casualty is recorded as attached to another Regiment, his name may alternatively appear within their Regimental Panels. The Memorial takes the form of a loggia surrounding an open rectangular court. The court is enclosed by three solid walls and on the eastern side by a colonnade.


Le Tiuret Memorial 



The Memorial in Le Touret Military Cemetery, is one of those erected by the Commonwealth War Graves Commission to record the names of the officers and men who fell in the Great War and whose graves are not known. It serves the area enclosed on the North by the river Lys and a line drawn from Estaires to Fournes, and on the South by the old Southern boundary of the First Army about Grenay. It covers the period from the arrival of the II Corps in Flanders in 1914, to the eve of the Battle of Loos. The memorial was designed by J.R. Truelove and unveiled by Lord Tyrrell on 22 March 1930. No. of Identified Casualties: 13392

Map Google Earth
            Photo 1 WW1 Battlefields.
            Photo 2 War Graves Photography Project.
            Photo 3 War Graves Photography Project.
            Information, CWGC.