On Saturday the 10th of November 2018, Mr Roger Wilson will give a theatrical presentation on the life and letters of his Grandfather, Lt. George Annaheim at the River house Barn in Weybridge, Surrey. Roger and his wife Claire, will both present a ‘stage version’ of the many hundreds of letters that were written by Lt George Annaheim during his time at the Front. The letters provide a fascinating sight into the daily life of the 1st Battalion Royal Munster Fusiliers of which Lt. Annaheim was Transport Officer. Roger has also written a book titled ‘Anna Uncensored’ based on the letters, which has been published by Lighthouse publishing, The book which is priced at £12.99 is being made available to members of the RMFA at a discount price of £10 direct from Roger by emailing him at
Love, not War
All proceeds from the performance will go to both the Royal British Legion and The Royal Munster Fusiliers Association. The RMF Association is very much indebted to Roger for this wonderful gesture.
Today, the association had the honour of being present at Killorglin Library where one of our committee members Stephen Thompson, presented copies of his book to the Killorglin Library Archives and also to a number of people who had assisted him during his research. The book entitled ‘Killorglin’s Great War Servicemen’ took more than 7 years of work and is testament to Stephen’s hard work over that time. He was kind enough to present a copy of the book to the RMF Association for the help that he received from various members of the association. It is hoped that the book will assist those researching the first world war in Kerry, for many years to come.
The Annual General Meeting of the Royal Munster Fusiliers Association will take place at the Hibernian Hotel in Mallow on Saturday the 19th of May at 12 noon. Everyone is invited to attend wether a member of the Association or not. New members will be welcome on the day. The Annual subscription is €20 per year.
After a number of setbacks, the 25th Anniversary Edition of the Bengal Tiger journal, which was due for release in October of 2017, will now be collected from the printers this week and will hopefully be with you, our members in the next week or two. The journal is almost 70 pages so is noticeably bigger than the usual one. Hopefully the content and quality of the journal will make it ‘worth waiting for’.
Journals will be posted to all paid up members of the association. Please check with the secretary if you are unsure of the status of your membership. The price of membership is €20 per year.
Some time back, the Royal Dublin Fusiliers Association decided to erect a memorial at Frezenberg to commemorate and remember the roles played by the 16th [Irish] Division and the 36th [Ulster] Division in the 3rd Battle of Ypres, also known as Passchendaele.
Both Divisions suffered major casualties in the assault on Frezenberg Ridge on the 16th/17th August, 1917. It was the last time that both Divisions fought together in the war.
The Royal Dublin Fusiliers Association subsequently invited other Regimental Associations to participate in the project. At this time, commitment to support the project financially has been made by the following Associations:
- Royal Irish Regiment [ 18th Foot]
The above represent the eight Irish infantry regiments in existence at the outbreak of war in 1914.
The date set for the dedication of the memorial is Friday, 18th August, 2017.
Representatives of our Association will attend the dedication.
Any member who wishes to travel to the event should contact the Chairman, Liam Nolan, prior to the 30th June.
Contact details are: e-mail: email@example.com
:Mobile phone: 087 2463638
MEMORIAL STONE TO THE 16th [IRISH] AND 36th [ULSTER] DIVISIONS
The Association, in conjuction with other Regimental Associations, has joined the initiative begun by the Royal Dublin Fusiliers Association to erect a memorial stone to mark the centenary of the tragic involvement of these Divisions in the Third Battle of Ypres (31st July to 10th November, 1917), also known as Passchendaele.
Following the success at Messines two months earlier, both Divisions again fought side-by-side at Frezenberg. Having been in the front line for a period before the assault, both Divisions had suffered serious losses. Massively under strength and physically weak, both assaulted Frezenberg Ridge on 17th August and suffered losses so high that they had to be relieved.
The attack was a complete failure.
The attack led to the amalgamation or disbandment of many Irish battalions and the departure of the 16th Division from Flanders.
The memorial stone in honour of both Divisions, will complete the story of these two Divisions which began in 1998 with the opening of the Island of Ireland Peace Park at Messines and the placing of two Divisional memorial stones on the road into Wijtschate in 2007.
The Association will make a donation towards the cost of this memorial. If any member wishes to contribute towards the cost of the memorial, this can be done by forwarding the contribution to the Secretary or doing so at our forthcoming A.G.M.
This will probably be the only memorial on the Western Front to carry the names of the participating Regimental Associations which will be a fitting legacy.
2017 WWI & WWII Historical Tour to Flanders
Guided tour of war memorials and battlefields by a professional historian
Dates: September 24th to 28th incl.
Duration: Five days (4 nights)
Accommodation: Four nights at Messines Peace Village
Food: Breakfast each morning, packed lunch each day and three evening meals
Flights: Aer Lingus Cork/ Paris (CDG)/Cork
Bus transfers: Paris Airport/Messines/Paris Airport plus daily excursions
Some of the proposed sites for tour
- · Kemmel Information Centre – Battle of Messines 1917 & Bayernwald German trenches
- · Walking tour of Messines: Peace Park, Messines Historical Museum (Old Town Hall), St. Nicolas Church and New Zealand Memorial and cemetery
- · Museum of the Battle of Fromelles & Australian Memorial Park
- · Visit 1940 Dunkirk Museum
- · Tyne Cot British Military Cemetery
- · Passchendaele Memorial Museum
- · German Cemetery at Vladslo
- · Francis Ledwidge Memorial at Bosinghe
- · Menin Gate, Ypres for Last Post ceremony
- · In Flanders Museum, Ypres
If interested a copy of the tour application form can be got from
Dunmanus, Old Cratloe Road, Limerick
Ph. (M) 087 7594 940
The Association will hold an Exhibition entitled, The Royal Munster Fusiliers and the Kerry Connection at Tralee County Library, Moyderwell, Tralee on Friday 17th & Saturday 18th February, The exhibition will be open from 2pm on Friday until 5.30pm and again on Saturday from 10am to 5.30pm. Members of both the Great War Society and the Cork Branch of the Western Front Association will assist on both days. There will be many artefacts on display along with many photographs of the Regiment. Family research will be provided on both days and anyone with family heirlooms are asked to bring them along to the exhibition. The RMF Association would like to thank Tralee County Library for hosting this event.
On Tuesday 27th of September, the Royal Munster Fusiliers Association and Cork Public Museum received a large collection of artefacts from Col Mike Dudding OBE who resides in London. The collection belonged to his uncle, Company Sergeant Major and later Captain John Jordeson who served with the 2nd Battalion from 1900 until his retirement in 1922 at the time of the disestablishment of the Regiment. The collection consists of various items of silverware from the Sergeant’s Mess including some which dates back to the 104th Regiment of Foot. Parts of his uniform including his Sam Brown belt, and bearskin hackle. Various notes and diaries covering the entire war period from 1914 – 1918 describing all of the actions in which he took part including the Great Raid in which he was awarded the MC and Capt Batten Poolle earned his VC. Many photos taken in and around the trenches and various towns in which the RMF were engaged which have remained unseen until now. And also some notes relating to the Old Comrades Association to which Capt. Jordeson was Hon. Secretary from 1936 until his death in 1941. This collection will form a major part of a permanent museum which will open in Cork Public Museum in 2017. Anyone wishing to donate items relating to the Royal Munster Fusiliers museum can contact either the secretary of the Association or contact Cork Public Museum at Fitzgerald Park.
At the small gathering in the museum Col Dudding was honoured with Honorary Life Membership of the RMF Association. The award was presented to him by Ollie Griffin, President of the RMFA.
Col Mike Dudding speaking at Cork Public Museum at the occasion of his donation of artifacts of Capt. J. Jordeson. Also pictured are Adrian Foley RMFA and Mr Dan Breen who is the acting curator at the mmuseum
Col. Dudding speaking at the Museum, with Association Secretary Miss Colette Collins also pictured
Col. Dudding receiving Honorary Life Membership of the RMFA from association President, Ollie Griffin.