The following is an extract from the first Annual Report of The Old Comrades Association.
‘The determination to try to establish the Association was taken last March; and, the approval of Lieut. General Sir H.S.G. Miles GCB CVO, Colonel of The Regiment having been obtained a temporary Committee was formed, which met on the 21st March and drew up a circular letter intimating the proposed objects of the Association and the decision to have the first Annual Dinner at The Pillar Hall, Victoria Station, on “Plassey Day”, the 23rd June.
This letter was sent out to all past and present members of the Regiment whose addresses could be obtained, and met with a most encouraging reception from all ranks, showing that esprit de corps and love fro the old Regiment remains as strong as ever, both with those still serving under it’s colours and those who no longer have that privilege.
The rates of subscription have been set very low in order to give all the opportunity of joining the Association no matter how slender his means; but the Committee hope that all members who are in a position to do so will make an extra contribution annually to the Benevolent Fund which has been established to assist any deserving case of any Old Comrade or his widow who may be in financial distress.
The total number of members on the 31st December 1914 was 1367, made up as follows.
1st Battalion - Officers 24, Other Ranks 700
2nd Battalion - Officers 22, Other Ranks 331
3rd battalion - Officers 8, Other Ranks 66
4th Battalion - Officers 2, Other Ranks 23
5th Battalion - Officers 2, Other Ranks 30
Extra Regimentally Employed - Officers 6
Non Serving - Officers 37, Other Ranks 104
Associates - Officers 12’
The final gathering of The RMF Old Comrades took place in 1969. Thank you to Ollie Griffin for providing this article from The Evening Echo of July 15th 1969