RMF Museum – Cork Public Museum

On Tuesday 27th of September, the Royal Munster Fusiliers Association and Cork Public Museum received a large collection of artefacts from Col Mike Dudding OBE who resides in London. The collection belonged to his uncle, Company Sergeant Major and later Captain John Jordeson who served with the 2nd Battalion from 1900 until his retirement in 1922 at the time of the disestablishment of the Regiment. The collection consists of various items of silverware from the Sergeant’s Mess including some which dates back to the 104th Regiment of Foot. Parts of his uniform including his Sam Brown belt, and bearskin hackle. Various notes and diaries covering the entire war period from 1914 – 1918 describing all of the actions in which he took part including the Great Raid in which he was awarded the MC and Capt Batten Poolle earned his VC. Many photos taken in and around the trenches and various towns in which the RMF were engaged which have remained unseen until now. And also some notes relating to the Old Comrades Association ┬áto which Capt. Jordeson was Hon. Secretary from 1936 until his death in 1941. This collection will form a major part of a permanent museum which will open in Cork Public Museum in 2017. Anyone wishing to donate items relating to the Royal Munster Fusiliers museum can contact either the secretary of the Association or contact Cork Public Museum at Fitzgerald Park.

At the small gathering in the museum Col Dudding was honoured with Honorary Life Membership of the RMF Association. The award was presented to him by Ollie Griffin, President of the RMFA.